Searching for truth in the midst of lies

I am not lost. I just don't know where here is.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

Interestingly Mundane

Trying to find my way around a fallen world, I am a child of God, neither fully understanding who God is nor what He says, but knowing and trusting that He is God no matter what I feel. A pilgrim on a life journey bashing my way through, A Singaporean who is passionate about things, a desire to live a life worth living.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Right versus wrong

I was watching Accidental Spy yesterday. (yes yes i should have been studying but give me a break)

In one scene, Jackie Chan was talking to a priest (or rabbi I am not sure which) and Jackie asks something.
Jackie - "If someone awaits your rescue, but saving her means others may die. Would you still do it?"
Priest- "If you do not rescue her, she will certainly die, correct?" (to which Jackie's silence is taken as yes)
Priest- "All i have to say is, even if the person is Hitler, you have to go. The aftermath, Leave that to God to take care"

This very interesting outlook kinda jolts me into reality. Sometimes we are called to make a value judgement, that is to do something wrong, with the result to make a lesser wrong in the future. Vis a vis, if we were to asked to to do something right with the result of a greater wrong in the future, would we still do it?

I like the priests response. Do what is right, let God handle the aftermath. In essence, as christians, we are called to do what is right no matter what the consequence. Because in the long run, God is there to take care. Besides, in the long run, we are all dead.

Joseph did what was right, he was thrown into slavery and then jail. Jeremiah was equally charged for speaking the word of God. Jesus was persecuted for doing what God called him to do. Stephen was stoned to death because he spoke the truth. Sometimes doing that which is right will not benefit us in this time. Our rewards are treasures in heaven.

So what gives? SHould we do what is right regardless of the consequences? Honestly, i don't know. I don't even know if in such a situation i would know what is right or wrong. There may be no grey area, but the line between white and black is certainly approaching gray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home