Searching for truth in the midst of lies

I am not lost. I just don't know where here is.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

Interestingly Mundane

Trying to find my way around a fallen world, I am a child of God, neither fully understanding who God is nor what He says, but knowing and trusting that He is God no matter what I feel. A pilgrim on a life journey bashing my way through, A Singaporean who is passionate about things, a desire to live a life worth living.

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Perspective

I love that word. Perspective. It can mean so much, or it can mean so little.

I was having a discussion with two friends about the fine institution I am in. Now not an issue really, but I feel that is a lot to improve in the institution. Namely what happens in the course.

And both of them told me the same thing, it's about perspective. If I was able to stop whining and see that I have something to gain from the institution, or if I believed that I had something to gain, then my time there would be worth it.

And yes i agree there is so much in that statement. But there is a half-lie. Perspective does not change truth. Perspective changes response.

This is what I mean. When I complain about something, I do my best to ensure that the criticism I lay on the body is based on facts. Based on what is happening. It is not a "damn boring, or damn sian' but more of a 'not useful' attitude. And that is the sad fact, this institution does not or is not giving me the ability to do what I am supposed to do. It is giving me the theoretical knowledge but that is not something i guess i was looking for.

Knowledge and ability are two separate entities. But for another argument.

Perspective helps us check our responses. It guides us in our choices. It helps us through the place. But it CANNOT replace the truth. If the truth is the place sucks, it sucks. Perspective means we do our best about it. And it angers me to no end, when people are so interested in making me see the right attitude. When in fact, rather then tell the person what is right and wrong, guide the person there.

Telling and showing are two separate things. Maybe for a young boy, telling is more effective. But like the saying, give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach the man to fish, and he will spend the whole damn day in the boat. (Joking, correct idiom: Teach the man to fish, and he will eat for life).

Telling is like giving the man a fish. It tells the person what to do in a specific circumstances. But showing is like teaching. It gives the man the idea of how to behave. It teaches the man how to decide.

Guide, or better still, walk with your friend through life. We are all pilgrims on a life journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home