Searching for truth in the midst of lies

I am not lost. I just don't know where here is.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

Interestingly Mundane

Trying to find my way around a fallen world, I am a child of God, neither fully understanding who God is nor what He says, but knowing and trusting that He is God no matter what I feel. A pilgrim on a life journey bashing my way through, A Singaporean who is passionate about things, a desire to live a life worth living.

Saturday, October 06, 2007

My Testimony

This is my Testimony. It is not so that others may see and believe, it is so that I may read and remember.

I graduated from NUS in June, specifically June 30. Technically my exams ended 28 april and then it was off to EUROPE!!!!

I started to look for a job in early july. I knew a few things:
No banks/"church work"
Teaching after a few years.

I applied for several, MoM, MoH, MoF, Mizhu, SMU, CAAS, NCSS, MFA, STB, SIA

God intervened. Only the bank, CAAS and SMU responded. (SMU later realised I was Fresh Grad. On hindsight, I believe God gave me what I wanted. Response.)

I was also offered a temp (4mths) job at IBM. But it required that I not leave for the duration of my employment. My mom dissuaded me from taking it. I now can say uneqivocally that God intervened through my mom.

The places I wanted to and could go were closed to me. God did not let me go. My friends were given access. I was praying.

Then God asked me one day, is teaching a job? I replied yes.

Days later, He asked me why I din apply. I said I was not qualified/experienced ... .
God replied, I qualify the call.

So I applied for relief teaching. God opened the door. I found myself being recommended for a teaching job by a friend. I took it up. The amazing thing was, i later found out, my friend was doing relief for another teacher. That teacher was a teacher from SAS (Saint Andrew's Secondary.) She taught me in her last year at SAS and i remember her, not because of her teaching, but how she was as a person. Dun ask me to explain, i cannot, but somehow i just knew she was someone who was different. I discovered all this when i was praying for confirmation.

Teaching at fairfield really opened up my eyes to what God called me to do. It is something special on my heart. Something that i can really relate to, and have a passion for. Both teaching and connecting with the students.

But now I am still walking. Small steps. God says baby steps. Again and again, He is calling me to go to him at ANY time I am tempted. At any time I am struggling, to go to him for help. And God gives grace to the one who is humble. As long as we choose to submit to God, He will send grace.

Now as I am continued to be called back to Fairfield, I learnt a lot of lessons so valuable. Firstly, the students they want and need to know that you are on their side. They need to know that someone is not fighting them, someone is fighting FOR them. They want to know that they are cherished and loved. They want to know that they have a chance. Because they themselves have forgotten they have a chance.

Most of all, they need to be loved more then to be taught. Many of them do not see a future, much less a destiny or a destination. Our jobs are sometimes to help them search for an attainable destiny and help them work out how to get there.

And now is the call to obedience. Even as I wondered whether I should take up the job of teaching, I believe that God is one who never forces. He has given me the option of saying no; SIA is calling me back for the last round and i think it is usually where they offer you the job. I think. This is God's way of saying, it is your choice. I know in my heart, He wants me to teach. At least for now.

On another note: To 4i: You guys really taught me alot about being a teacher, being patient and loving you guys. For that, i will never sacrifice the experience. NEVER.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home