Searching for truth in the midst of lies

I am not lost. I just don't know where here is.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

Interestingly Mundane

Trying to find my way around a fallen world, I am a child of God, neither fully understanding who God is nor what He says, but knowing and trusting that He is God no matter what I feel. A pilgrim on a life journey bashing my way through, A Singaporean who is passionate about things, a desire to live a life worth living.

Friday, September 14, 2007

Updating.

Been a long time since i blogged so here goes.

SIA called me up for interview last week (where i met chris) and this week they asked us to go for a written test. it took one day. One essay, one precis, GMA (maths, abstract and reasoning). Total time, 4 hours 30 min. Even NUS exams not so fierce.

MOE asked me to go for a medical checkup. Which i went (at raffles hospital). Turned out, i am fit for teaching.

Over this week, i been teaching 4i. People tell me "you teach 4i? Good luck." I realise that is so bull. I love the class. The students yes they may not be smart in terms of how MOE sees it, but they are brillant in their own ways. And so lovable. Is just that some of them don't bother to study. But talk to them one on one, you can connect. you can talk to them.

I think the important thing to be teacher, one must know firstly connect with them, but also remember, you are on their side, not their friend. The problem is when we think we want to be their friend; that option is not opened to us. Teaching is ultimately about being a older person whom the student respects and looks up to. Being a friend is one small role, it is the role on which the student wants to share to , but it is the teacher role that student wants advice from. The teacher whom the student can trust to share his story with as well as share troubles with, is one whom the child respects.

Students need to learn respect, but we as teachers need to learn to love them the way they want to be loved. Of course, this means if they go out of bounds, we warn them not to. We are ultimately their teachers and they may not like us, but they have to respect our office. Because of our office, being friends is too limited.

On a more jovial note, i found a few pictures of peole whom i know who come from fairfield. If you do come from fairfield, tell me so that i can search for your class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home