Searching for truth in the midst of lies

I am not lost. I just don't know where here is.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

Interestingly Mundane

Trying to find my way around a fallen world, I am a child of God, neither fully understanding who God is nor what He says, but knowing and trusting that He is God no matter what I feel. A pilgrim on a life journey bashing my way through, A Singaporean who is passionate about things, a desire to live a life worth living.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cop Out

We (me and my friends) had a good discussion on copping out.

My friend said one thing that pissed her off about religion was that we copped out. To many questions, we answer "That's God's will", "No one can fully understand why".

I agree with her that such statements could be construed and could actually be used as an answer to avoid admitting ignorance. It could be a cop out.

But from a believer's perspective, we say such things with conviction because we believe it to be.

To the question of suffering, i realise that every biblical response can be torn down by a non biblical response. (Biblical simply means an answer from the bible).

At the core of the argument is this sentence "You cannot rationalise everything". The christian believes that. The skeptics would say that you must be able to rationalise everything. We have a brain, we need to be able to understand why. The christian will say, but the why is not always for man to know. The skeptics then retort that is copping out. (This is not exactly what we discussed).

Faith is both rational and irrational. We do have a basis for faith: Bible, experiences, prayer. It is irrational: It cannot be fully rationalised. But like the negative number example Philip Pullman gives, Faith can never be fully rationalised. Once it is rationalised, it dies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AYE I don't only contemplate what I should wear etcetc okay! and I hope we all do leave some kinda impact (good, of course) on whoever we teach/discuss deep stuff/joke with. hey hey maybe you could try a fluffy post! and I'll do a deep one. or maybe not. haha but it'll be fun to read about what Stick decides to wear.. purple/blue/pink?! shirt with black/blacker pants, or ?

HAHA KIDDING :) see you monday!
E!

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home