Searching for truth in the midst of lies

I am not lost. I just don't know where here is.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

Interestingly Mundane

Trying to find my way around a fallen world, I am a child of God, neither fully understanding who God is nor what He says, but knowing and trusting that He is God no matter what I feel. A pilgrim on a life journey bashing my way through, A Singaporean who is passionate about things, a desire to live a life worth living.

Monday, July 11, 2005

I am online!!!!!!!!

Yey yey I HAVE INTERNET IN MY ROOM!!!!!

My past few days blogs

Day 1
"Hey people. Am now in my room in Christchurch New Zealand. It is cold. Well, actually, as cold is really relative, to me it is cold but to the locals, this winter is actually quite warm.

Anyway it has been a long journey. I took off from Changi international airport at about 2020 Singapore time on NZ 82 Singapore to Auckland. Was a nice flight. A bit long, but the leg room was generous though the seat was uncomfortable. Strangely, the meals was rather good. And I have decided that if I ever fly, breakfast will be the egg menu. Whatever the alternative. The movie, some strange movie based on Dirk pitts adventure, books by Clive Cussler.

I am sorry, but I think that author is probably one of the most shallow around. His character is one who makes James Bond seem like a student in secondary school running around catching bullies who hide in toilets and make little girls cry.

Other then that, met a nice couple also staying in Christchurch who were flying home behind me. And the girl who sat beside me was a girl who was going to Hamilton for jockey lessons. A graduate from NUS engineering ( I think it was mechanical) learning about horses. Go figure. The funny thing was, her name was Ming Hui. And she was dressed like a boy, right down to her black beret. But I believed she was a girl. My suspicions were confirmed once she said “My guy friends”. A Tom Boy.

It is interesting to note that only girls, and guys almost never say it, metrosexual or not, girls always say ‘My guy friends’. The guys would be like, ‘Oh I have this friend, and erm, he (she) erm.’ The girls would inevitably say ‘My guy friends’ or just ‘friends’ for girlfriends.

Well, anyway, the flight from Auckland came into turbulence somewhere near our destination point. The descent felt like free fall at some point. You know, the strange feeling you get in your tummy when you are in a roller coaster on the way down. The ride was rather rough around the edges.

At Auckland international, I expected a long queue to clear customs. I was not disappointed. There were only four or five counters to clear one plane with almost 300 plus pax. Luckily, upon seeing our flight, they put into work about seven more staff to speed up the process. So I cleared customs. I proceeded to collect my huge luggage. I then went to declare my food.

New Zealand is one country that is more interested in you bringing food products then if you were bringing in Anthrax. I am sure if I said, ‘Oh I am bringing no food, just anthrax.’ They’d be like ‘Oh ok then, go ahead. Sure you didn’t bring any contaminated clothes or anything?’

By law, you have to declare anything partly natural. That means unless you are wearing fully synthetic clothes, please declare. I think NZ would much prefer if we came nude and they provided the clothes.

But anyway, I cleared the most through inspection of my Maggi Noodles and instant soups ever. Not even the Quality Inspectors at the factories check the food that carefully. After that I rushed over to domestic airport to take my connecting flight. Rather far away.

Boarded NZ 537 Auckland to Christchurch. The plane was simply two rows of three seats each, separated by a narrow aisle. Upon the ever present safety briefing and the usual take off warnings, the stewards serve tea/coffee. Shortly after, they provided candy. Then it was landing time. I actually slept most of the way, not that it was long. The plane was so basic, there wasn’t even a call button. (You just wave I guess, the steward at the rear of the plane would come)

Christchurch. Brrr… went through customs. Rather quickly I admit. I was out. For them, luggage collection is just one carrousel belt outside the immigration area. So you are technically out of the ‘Airport’ part of the airport when you collect your luggage.

After that, was a fairly simple business of finding a cab. Nice chap, who drove me to University Hall down at University of Canterbury. NZD19.60. Not cheap, but then again, different country different rules. I panicked then I realized the office was closed. Then I saw a sign saying “Please dial 6669 for assistance after office hours.” There was a phone there too so hey, I dialled. Someone picked up and came down shortly after. It was a Residential Advisor. She was a nice lady, Heather. Getting her law degree. Before you call her a undergraduate, please note she has a PH.d in Languages. Yes, it is Dr. Heather for you.

Very very friendly lady who helped me get my room, showed me around, even gave me her personal number in case I ever needed help. Actually, up to now, I have not really met a rude New Zealander. So it was rather cool to be so helped.

I called home to tell them I had arrived (called at about 2 plus three NZ time) NZ is four hours ahead of Singapore. Then I went on to call Rachel later, but she was on the phone with my mum (ha ha) and so did not answer my call. But anyway. I stayed in my room wondering what to do, then I remembered Petrina who was already here. I messaged her and arranged for dinner.

I traveled down by bus. They have this fancy system that tells you how long the bus is going to be. (i.e. what time it will arrive.) Which I tried to use. And it said forty minutes away.

I was rather shocked. Forty minutes to wait for one bleeding bus into town? Argh… So I went to buy a International Calling Card. Rather cheaper to call home then my trusty 91*****3 line.

I tried to call home. Took me several minutes, (actually the forty minutes) to do it. Had to call up the help desk twice before I could be put through to my mom. Spoke to her for a while. Called Rachel here. I miss home.

Then the bus came. Now Singaporeans who complain about our bus fares, try taking a bus from here. It costs NZD 2 to travel from anywhere to anywhere on a bus. That means, it costs S$ 2.40 per trip based on an exchange rate of S$1.20 to NZD 1. Which is rather generous given how the S$ has been moving.

SBS transit wake up. If you think Toa Payoa Interchange is the best, think again. The interchange here has a small camera at the entrance and that tells the driver which bay to go to. The station is air con (natural I mean, not artificially cooled.) and well, that was that. Cool.

So anyway, met Petrina for dinner, saw a lovely church, might go for services next week. It says, ‘Jazz Services on Sundays.’ I am curious to see how people might sing Amazing Grace Jazz version. I am sure that since there is a Techno Version of that, it should be doable.

So that was my first day in NZ. It wasn’t exciting; I have not unpacked as I am not sure if I would be staying in this room yet. But hey, it is a nice room. I will try to post pics.

Miss you guys at home.


Day 2.

Woke up late, was supposed to meet Petrina as she comes over to find her hall, she is staying at Ilam (say I-Lam) village, and well, I was late. Managed to get to her since she called me.

Found the Ilam place she was staying, think it looks older then mine.

Then we headed to Riccarton Road. It is the main thoroughfare of Christchurch that makes it look more town then town. (The business district is in Christchurch; but Riccarton seems more alive). Riccarton is town and Christchurch, is just a tourist destination.

We went to ANZ bank, and I have to call on Citibank (who has horrible service) to learn from them. They were very professional. Upon learning we wanted to open an account they set up an appointment with the personal banker, a very correct gentleman by the name Gordon archer. Much like a butler if I may. He led us through the procedure, although the account is not open till tomorrow, he has set us up for a thrifty account. It was also super cool of him to allow me to get a student account seeing that I was actually a half year student rather then a one year student. So yeah, ANZ has a branch and an ATM on campus.

Anyway, we then went for lunch. BAD!!! Take beef in NZ, never try their ‘Sweet and Sour pork’. Bleah. Miss Singapore.

We walked around whilst Petrina enjoyed being in a mall, it’s a girl thing. Malls make their Life worth Living.

So anyway, now am back in my room again. I have met a few others staying here. I will blog about them, but I want to confirm suspicions first. Not good though…

Ok then, had dinner. I feel that it is having meals that will make me miss Singapore the most. The crowds the people, it is just so lonely here. Hard to make friends whilst eating. And the food sucks. Big time.

Oh well, trying to call Rachel, but impossible. Will try again. Calling family up at 11pm (local time, Singapore time 7pm). See you guys.



8 July

Ok tried to keep updating, but is hard. Have made a few friends, but mostly in Hall, Kieran, Tom, Young and me are the four guys here. Hazel and Emily are the two girls here. Two Americans (the girls), Two Kiwis (Tom and Kieran), One Korean (Young who is always, and I mean always at his girlfriend’s place) and one Singaporean (if you cannot guess who that is, go and jump off or something).

Quite a nice atmosphere, we watch tv every night. Why?
1. No internet.
2. Too cold.
3. No where to go, excepts pubs.
4. Movies too expensive.
5. No internet
6. Too cold
7. Too cold.
8. No internet
9. Did I mentioned no internet?

Yup that why. So many reasons that Samsung is our best friend here.

Anyway have walked around campus for a while, managed to walk to Town (see above for clarification) from here. Rather good exercise. Maybe, will try and run. Although first you sweat then you freeze…

Saw a sign in dining hall. ‘Footwear and Clothing must be worn in the hall’. Right, like I would run out naked in this below 10 degrees and got for dinner. Brrrrrrrrrrr. I think they have their priorities a bit wrong here.

New Zealand has a booze problem. SERIOUS booze problem. We had a meet the head of hall yesterday, and you guessed it, beer and wine were served. University tradition at the end of the term is this event called Undie 500.

First, buy a car for $500 and below. Next, you and your mates drive down this stretch of pubs and get wasted at EVERY single pub there. That means getting drunk at all, not just one, of the pubs. Disgusting. Beer is dirt cheap here. Victoria Bitter costs $7.00. For a pack of six. Back home is about $4 a can. Apparently every end of term (i.e 4 times a year) uni tradition is to get wasted. Every year. Not to mention the student’s own attempts to get alcoholism into their system.

I talked to a few Kiwis and the like, all admit that there is a drinking problem here in NZ and especially here in halls. Getting wasted is really the way to go. First day I came in, I did not see a single bottle of coke/pepsi/ soft drinks in the fridge. Just beer. I was the only chap who bought Coke. And to make matters more

I spoke to Eunice, a very nice Christian lady here on campus. She agrees NZ is a dry place. Very sad. God told me to pray, so guys at home, please pray too. These people only use religion when it involves Rugby in winter or Cricket in Summer. Being a Christian here is actually rather risky. Got to watch what you say. You think Singapore has freedom issues, well, here there are unspoken rules which make Singapore seem freer.

All in all, managed to get enrolled today. They have this fascinating policy that allows you to drop your subject anytime before the start of the fourth term. In fact, they warn us to take easy subjects as they call us “Student Tourist” out here to eat, drink, ski, drink, play, drink, and so on. Oh and occasionally study.

But I will say that the kiwis are I think world class in one issue. (Drinking they are in a league of their own). Service. Never, never in Singapore will I ever get service even half the standards here. And I do not mean in the School only. But here, the average service outshines Singapore’s best. Think of going to Fullerton Hotel and getting that sort of smile, service, help and information as a Standard. Buck up Singapore.

Enrollment today was a breeze, NUS should learn. There were so many students to help out, and it is really friendly. But the one thing that really shocked me was the banking system.

Banks look at us and treat us like partners; we want you to come to us. Singapore banks look at us and see us as customers; that is, you need our service. I think the paying of bank fees is worth it as long as the standards are here. Just imagine, they have personal bankers for anyone who wants to do something other then withdrawal, deposit and buying cheques. And while their website says that they will only allow student who study here for at least a year to apply for their tertiary account, it is not a rule that they really must obey. Mr Gordon Archer bent the rules for me so I DO get a student account.

Once I have internet up and running, I will be applying for an internet account. It pays, drum roll, 6.5% interest a year. That is high, compared to like say, DBS (0.125%) or even pru cash pays only 3-5% a year. Hmm, maybe for my thesis, it will be on the monetary policy of NZ and how they control fluctuations in NZ.

Ok now back from orientation and shopping. Sigh. Think I will have to spend a lot of time in the super market. And in the instant food section. Bought pie, pretty good. Will have to buy salad tomorrow. Need to go to town, think I will go alone. Just wanna walk around alone, unless Emily or Hazel decides to follow. Think Petrina and Esther not coming, and Tom is always studying whilst Kieran’s dad is here. So that means, me and me alone. Sigh.

Oh well, you guys take care. Will blog again whenever I have something to do. Right now, I am writing on Words and just waiting, waiting and waiting to activate my Canterbury card. ARGH!!!! I NEED INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ivan said...

Suddenly I want to celebrate the fact that Singapore (and especially NUS) places so much emphasis on getting hooked up to the Net.

No wonder I almost never see any Aussies and Kiwis on the online forums I frequent...

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home